Saturday, May 10, 2008

Doggie info

I recently adopted the most amazing dog in the universe. She's a rescue from a puppy mill and adopted from the Louis Animal Foundation, Inc (off of Petfinder.com). Her name was Sunrise, but now goes by Emmie Loo Skeris. She was incredibly scared at first, but with only over a month of training, Emmie Loo has come out of her shell.

Emmie Loo is my very first dog. I had to sift through a lot of stuff to find all the things I need as a pup owner. I'm going to list as many things as I can so if you're ever interested in ADOPTING, it'll make your process easier.

Please adopt and don't buy from a petstore. The animals in petstores come from many abused facilities. If you must buy, please go through a trusted breeder who has all their background information readily availabe for you.

Places to adopt in NYC:
www.petfinder.com
MightMutts
Humane Society
Animal Haven
SOS Dogs

Things you MUST buy:
Harness (pull from the front NOT the back)
Wee wee pads
a Crate that's big enough for him/her to stand up and lay down (don't get one too big)
LEATHER leash
Apple Bitters (for things you don't want him/her to chew on--like your hands)
Healthy food - Life's Abundance and Natural Balance

Training and More:
Kate Perry is an awesome trainer! Plus her rates are completely reasonable.
The Dog Wash will completely poop out your dog if you need a doggie daycare.
D is for Doggie is a much more upscaled daycare.

More Fun Stuff:
Fancy Doggie Clothes — Trixie & Peanut
Whitener for tear stained dogs — Eye Envy
Toys!
UrbanHound
training tips
seperation anxiety

....and please remember that your DOG is a DOG and not a human!

3 comments:

mikelite said...

I love your very last statement. it's really important people remember they're getting an animal, not a furry human. I look at all the petfood commercials and so many of them are designed to be appealing to humans while ignoring real animal needs. I don't give a shit if looks pretty but has animal by-products inside.

Peter Helff said...

Ha ha - "Poop out your dog." Sounds like they squeeze out the poo, like a tube of toothpaste.

But seriously, I agree with Mike (hi Mike): all people who own pets need to remember that the new addition to the family is an animal (a cute, lovable, sweet animal, but still an animal). And don't feed your newfound friend garbage. Anything with "by-products" in it is unhealthy and poisonous.

Now for the teary part: here's a poem that I was given when I adopted my cat Reggie. Spoiler warning: it WILL make you cry.

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the thing you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear. Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk at your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Rose said...

I'll take care of your pup anytime! She's the sweetest! -Rose